Petrich is situated in the southern part of Blagoevgrad county and in the southwestern part of Bulgaria, where the Bulgarian-Greek and the Bulgarian-Macedonians borders merge.
It is 13 km west of the frontier post of Kulata (at the border with Greece), 20 km east to the frontier post of Zlatarevo (at the border of Macedonia), 23 km away from Sandanski, 88 km away from Blagoevgrad, and 189 km away from Sofia.
The town of Petrich is an heir of the history and the name of the ancient Thracian town of Petra, which arises in V-VI century BC at the foot of the Kozhuh Mountain, in the land of Rupite. In 28-29 century B.C. the town of Petra has been conquered by the Romans and it exists as a Roman settlement till VI century B.C., when the Slavs conquered it.
In 837, during the rule of khan Presian, the town of Petrich enters into the border of the Fist Bulgarian Country.
The following centuries designate an important role to the town in the struggle against the foreign invaders. 18 km. to the west of the town, in 1014 one of the most dramatic battles in our history has taken place - the battle for Samuil fortress, where 14000 Bulgarian solders have been captured and blinded. Ever since the Byzantine emperor Vassilii II has been called Bulgaroctone.
During XIII-XIV century the town is a Bulgarian fortress - a part of the fortification system in the Southwestern Bulgaria.
During the Turkish yoke it becomes a Turkish administrative and military centre. In 1912 the town is liberated from Turkish yoke and in the next 1913 it hospitably opens its doors for the thousands of emigrants from Aegean and Vardar Macedonia. From 1920 till 1934 Petrich is a regional town.
- Town Museum of History, which is situated in the centre of the town
- Virgin Mary church, which was built in 1875 and declared a cultural monument
- Assumption temple
- Saint George church
- Saint Nicholas church
The Petrich field, which is situated along the Stroumeshnitsa valley, is one of the most fertile in Bulgaria. Due to the Mediterranean influence, which is coming to the valley of Strouma river, a number of citrus fruits grow here – lemons, kiwi, figs, as well as early fruits and vegetables.
The Belasitsa Mountain rises steep south above the town. The mountain is divided between 3 countries – Bulgaria, Greece and Macedonia. The crossing point of their boundaries is the peak of Toumba (1881 m in height). On the northern slopes of the mountain can be found the biggest area of edible chestnut trees.
The village of Marikostinovo is situated 13 km east of the town of Petrich. There are a lot of hot mineral springs. The temperature of the water is 58o-62oC. The water helps for various diseases.
The town of Petrich is the last railway station on the General Toshevo – Petrich extension of the railway line Sofia – Kulata – Athens. The railway station is situated in the northern part of the town. There is a public bus line to the railway station.
The central bus station is situated in the centre of the town, opposite the Bulgaria hotel. There are bus lines to the city of Sofia, the towns of Blagoevgrad, Sandanski, the frontier posts of Kulata and Zlatarevo and all the villages in the Petrich field.
The Roupite natural reserve is situated 10 km northeast of the town. There are a number of hot steaming mineral springs at the bottom of the dead volcano of Kozjuh. This is an extremely beautiful and impressive place. The Bulgarian prophet Vanga lived here and also built the St. Petka church.
The most significant sight near the town of Petrich is the national Museum, which is called the Samouil Fortress. It is situated 18 km away from the town and 6 km north of the village of Klyuch, on the right bank of the Stroumeshnitsa river. At the beginning of XI century the Bulgarian tsar Sanouil built a defensive system against the Byzantine invasion in the Klyuch pass.
Five kilometres northeast of the town of Petrich can be seen remains of dwellings, which are preserved from the Hellenic epoch (most probably of the ancient town of Petra). There are parts of a fortress wall, basement floor of public buildings, architectural fragments. There were discovered coins dating back to IV-III centuries BC.