Pomorie is situated on a narrow rocky peninsula, projecting 5 km into the sea. The health resort is 20 km north-east of Bourgas, 18 km away from the resort Sunny Beach and 408 km east of Sofia. The fine sand of the beaches - gold and black, the warm and clear seawater and the great number of sunny days, makes Pomorie an attractive place for year-round recreation and treatment of various diseases.
Thanks to it preserved nature and ecological conditions, the town is awarded the Blue Flag Award. Besides tourism, local mainstays include agriculture, salt production, fishing, and wine production (Pomorie brandy and Dimyat white wine are excellent).
Pomorie is famous for its mud therapy, known since Thracian times.
It is proved that according to its qualities Pomorie curative mud, extracted from the salty lake, is among the best in the world. In the modern sanatorium different diseases are cured all year round diseases of the bone-muscular system of the body; gynecological, surgery and traumatical, skin, peripheral nerves, non-typical of the breathing organs, liver, heart and other diseases. The average temperature of the air and the water in July is 23,6°C.
- Carnival for chasing away the evil ghosts in the beginning of the Easter
- The 6 th of May – the day of the town – St.George’s Day
- Week of the sea – in the beginning of August
- Javorov’s Days - they are dedicated to the creative work of the big Bulgarian poet Peyo Javorov, who has lived and written his most beautiful poems in Pomorie.
There used to be a Thracian settlement here colonised by the Greek in later times in 5 th century before Christ. The town was called Anhialo being at same time a colony of Apolonia as well (today Sozopol). The colony became wealthy producing salt - extracted from the nearby lake - and wine for trade and export. Later renamed Paleokastro (Old Fortress) by the Greeks, it was a thriving place and a regional administrative center under the Romans, who knew it as Ulpia. The area was the site of numerous battles between Bulgarians and Byzantines, the most famous being in 917 when Tsar Simeon emerged victorious. Conquered by the Ottomans in 1453, Pomorie became the most important town on the Black Sea coast next to Varna.
The Monastery of Saint George (1856), was originally of medieval construction but now occupies more modern facilities. Other landmarks are: the Yavorov Museum, the little church Christ Transfiguration from 1764 and the church Virgin Mary, built from the best student of Kolio Ficheto - Usta Gencho.
The Pomorie lake yields ooze containing curative salts and hydrogen sulfide useful in treating many diseases. The local sanatorium, situated next to the lake in the north part of town, is among the country's largest.
Just south of town near the Europa campground is a mound-topped Thracian tomb. ( 8 m high and 60 m in diameter) Unique for its shape and building technique, it was constructed during the 3rd century by Romans. It is an original combination of typical Thracian beehive tomb and Roman mausoleum. The tomb is opened for visitors.