The town of Dobrich is situated in the Danube Hilly Plain upon the Dobrouja Plateau - 45 km away from Airport Varna and 35 km away from the Balchik Harbor. The town is the second largest economic center in Northeastern Bulgaria.
Dobrich is one of the ten largest towns in Bulgaria - am important cultural, economic and administrative centre in the northeast economic region of the country.
The remains found by archaeologists testify that there was human presence on the territory of Dobrich in antiquity and early middle ages. The devastating Pecheneg invasions of the first third of 9th century AD depopulated the interior of Dobrouja and the life in the settlements ceased for the whole period of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom.
In the 14th century, a new settlement came into being in this crossroad area (roads from the Danube to the Black Sea and from Eastern Europe to the interior of the Balkan Peninsula passed through it). Its founder was the Turkish travelling merchant Hajioglou. In his honor and because of the important function of the town and the large food and livestock marketplace, it was named Hajioglou Pazarjik, which means important marketplace in Turkish.
In the 17-19 century, the town developed as a crafts, commercial and agricultural centre. Its culture took shape, its church and educational work developed, girls' education was introduced. Its town planning started in 1869.
The town was liberated from the Ottoman oppression in 1878. It was renamed to Dobrich after the medieval Dobrouja ruler Dobrotitsa with a princely decree of 19.02.1882.
The Day of the town of Dobrich is celebrated on 25 September, because on this date in 1940 the Rumanian occupation of South Dobrouja was ended and the Bulgarian army entered Dobrich. The town bore the name of the Soviet Marshal Tolbouhin for several decades during the Communist rule. The name Dobrich was restored with a decree of the President of 19.09.1990.
Tourist Information Center - Dobrich : 14, Bulgaria Str. (Art Gallery), Tel: (058) 601 604,