The town of Zlatitsa is located in the Zlatitsa-Pirdop valley, between Stara Planina to the north and Sredna Gora to the south at 680 meters above the sea level. Zlatitsa is situated 77 km east of Sofia, 27 km south of Etropole, 32 km north of Panagiurishte and 32 km northwest of Koprivshtitsa.
The ancient Roman road connecting Ulpia Trayana with Ulpia Serdika was passing near by. Alexander the Great frequently visited these locations. It is known that Zlatitsa in 4th century BC existed under the name of Ulpia Aurea and it is supposed that Emperor Trayan established the settlement in its today’s location in the beginning of the 2nd century.
During the Ottoman domination the town was almost completely populated with Turks and had the names of Izlati and Bash Hitovo. In its vicinity took place the notorious historical battle between the troops of the Hungarian king Vladislav III of Varna, the Transilvanian chieftain Jan Huniadi and the Serbian king Georgi Brankovich against the Turks.
Although the Bulgarians were a minority they built an Orthodox Church St. Martyr George with an adjacent ecclesiastical school. The church monastery sheltered the Apostle of freedom Vasil Levski in 1872 who came here to organize a revolutionary committee.
It is interesting to know that together with Sofia, Tarnovo and Plovdiv, Zlatitsa was nominated to become the capital of Bulgaria after the Liberation.
- The old Renaissance houses of Sokolov’s and Boyanov’s are places of interest in Zlatitsa.
- The clock tower of 1829, built of stone blocks is 16.70 metres high. The clock still strikes every hour.
The town is situated on the main highway and railway Sofia – Karlovo – Bourgas. Buss connections with all villages and towns in the vicinity are regularly maintained. The railway station of Zlatitsa is in the western part of the town (tel.: 0728 2300).
Except at the municipalities and at the hotels, information can be obtained from the Svishti Plaz Tourist Association.
Nine kilometers south of Zlatitsa is the Old Kemer – a bridge spanning the River Topolnitsa from Roman time. The church complex called Spasovo Kladenche is 500 meters away from the town. The park monument Kambana can be found in the nearby village of Petrich.